Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Purchase

I grew up begging to be with horses.  Finally at age 7,  I was given riding lessons.  My dream was realized! I was finally content.

I purchased my first horse when I was 13.  And at age 15 learned the heart ache of selling a horse.  Glory did not mature to the height anticipated and my 5' 7" frame looked quiet awkward on the small 14.2 hand horse.  Glory was sold to a family with 3 young girls and was cherished from day one.

My next horse search began and ended in the same day in 1999.  I tried two horses at a local farm where a horse broker had two promising mounts.  The first was a WILD, refined thoroughbred mare,  not my type.  The second horse wasn't the best looking stead you've ever seen but I was very attracted to his large 16.2 hand stature.

Gizem was a 9 year old, off the track thoroughbred who came to NC by way of PA where he was a Fox Hunter. He was severely underweight, bony and his coat was badly bleached.  None the less, I took my prospect into a large open field since the farm lacked a riding arena.  Immediately I knew he was trustworthy.  He went easy in both directions, wasn't concerned with his surroundings and listened to every cue I gave him.  Then came time to jump.  Of course there was not a rail or standard in sight so we had to improvise.  A hot pink muck bucket became the hurdle of choice.  Houston trotted right up and never looked twice at the odd object I was facing him with.  I was sold!  My heart immediately went to this large, sun bleached ex-racer and I knew I had found my match.

After the vet check and lots of begging Gizem was mine.  First order of business- name change!  Not sure where Gizem originated from.  I retrieved Gizem's pedigree from the Jockey Association and searched for a new name.  Nothing fit this tall drink of water.  He needed a strong, bigger than life name,  Houston was perfect.  He's a southern gentleman and has a heart the size of Texas.

This picture was taken the first day Houston came to live at our barn.

1 comment: